Sunday 3 February 2013

Helen Amy Murray

Constructed Interiors.

Helen Amy Murray creates beautiful 3D upholsteries, such as this...


They are all hand crafted and manipulated, inspired by nature and form. Helen works materials like leather, suede and silk, as you can see the chair above is 'sculpted' from leather.

Fish Scales Chair
"As a designer I am always thinking about how I can create unique and innovative luxury textiles that create an illusion for the viewer, because I achieve a sculptural aesthetic usually associated with solid materials."

Helen creates work for small, private residences and larger, commercial projects through interior and architectural practices. As well as bespoke upholstery, Helen creates wall coverings and framed wall pieces.

Felt Wall Piece

Sea Life Chair 

Helens work is very complicated and detailed. It looks like work produced with a laser cutter, but it is all hand crafted. I like the subtle 3D appearance, it reminds me very much of Karen Nicol's work (see a previous post). 
This is an approach I would like to try and use within my work. Something subtle, but incredibly effective, becoming part of the fabric/interior.
As you can see Helen uses a 'clean' colour palette. She sticks mostly with single, pale shades. This allows a blank canvas to work on and doesn't take away from the intricate work Helen creates. This is something I will experiment with on my sample work, plain/monotone fabrics worked into with, maybe one, contrasting colour.

Peacock Chair

Text and Image Reference: 

No comments:

Post a Comment