Thursday 7 February 2013

Objects Trapped in Glass


I found a few stalls in the show that had objects trapped in glass. To me this is quite an interesting idea. The two companies that stood out the most to me were 'Objects in Glass' (below) and 'Notarianni Glass' (above). 
I love how the fabrics have been caught in the glass above. It looks like they are mid flow in the wind and I think achieving this effect in between glass is extremely interesting, it's preserving the movement. To get an idea of pricing, 'Objects in Glass' said they would charge £1000 for a door.


Above are my two favourite trapped in glass pieces. The phone which looks like it has exploded is great, it is as though the moment has been frozen in time. This also reminds me of Cornelia Parker's 'Exploding shed' but in a small, more contained area. The image on the right is a much more natural piece with grass trapped within the glass. This would make a beautiful screen in a house or feature in a commercial building.


Trapped in the glass above is Pasta! This was really interesting because I initially saw the glass from a distance and saw a multi toned pattern. It wasn't until I got up close that I realised the objects within the glass were Pasta. This shows an interesting use of materials and also says something about looking at work from a distance and seeing how it changes and what else you can get from it.


I have been thinking a lot about how I could bring this kind of idea into my work on a cheaper budget. My current work is looking at trapping and different ways I could do this as well as now beginning to work a little more on a 3D basis. I could look into using materials such as acetate, perspex and resin to create this trapped, 'floating' effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment