Monday 4 February 2013

Stitched Ceramics


I found this image in the Mix Magazine and it immediately caught my attention. The juxtaposition of something very delicate against something very hard and structured is interesting. You would associate stitch work with fabrics or supple material, in this case ceramic bowls have been 'stitched into'.

I would imagine that the holes would have been made during the time the pots were created and then thread would have been weaved in and out through the holes. I love the fact that the threads have been left to fall from the bowls and not cut short, adding another delicate, textile quality.

I love this piece of work and believe it is created by Cath Ball. This work will inspire me look more at how different materials work together and how you could get two totally different materials/techniques and combine them. 

Image Reference: Mix Magazine, Issue 27, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment