Tuesday 5 February 2013

Peacock Embroidery


This piece of work was created by Lindsey Taylor. It was created with paper, wire, thread, silk, felt and water based oil paint. The embroidered piece took two months to construct and was commissioned by London's Wallace Collection. Before this commission, Lindsey's work often included flowers and plants but this piece bought new challenges such as the Peacocks feathers which she created using water-soluble fabric.

I found this work in a magazine and looking at it, as well as reading the small description, it has given me an idea for my studio practice. The imagery I am working from has lots of build up of foliage and so working on aqua film would be a good way to recreate the effect in my samples, as it has done on the Peacock feathers and grass foliage above. I love the embroidery details on the piece of work and I admire how long it would have taken to make.

Image and text reference:
Craft magazine, No 235, March/April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment